A family of eight at the Omitara settlement in the Omaheke region was left homeless by a fire on 6 November 2022.
They lost all their belongings in the fire, which reportedly started as a result of children trying to cook.
The family now sleeps in one small room at neighbours after their belongings went up in flames.
Meitjie Kenamuinjo (39) told New Era her tears have dried up as she looks at the space where her house used to stand. Only ashes remain.
Kenamuinjo said since the day of the incident, she has not been sleeping, wondering how her family would survive, since she has no source of income.
“We reported the matter to the councillor on the same day of the fire but till today we have received no assistance; as you can see, everything is gone. Our beds, my fridge, blankets, school books for my children and their uniform. Nothing came out,” said Kenamuinjo.
The mother of six described the incident as devastating, and that it has shuttered her hope.
“This incident has brought me to a point where I can say life is unfair; we are suffering, with our kids sleeping in the same room,” said Kenamuinjo.
Kenamuinjo, pleaded to any good Samaritan to help with mattresses, blankets and clothes.
She said the community was unable to defeat the luring fire due to a lack of water in the community.
Omitara is about 110 kilometres from Windhoek, and it is home to around 3 000 inhabitants.